Friday, November 25, 2011

Apache over Singapore


Joseph C. Pereira - author, music expert, journalist, record collector, mentor, and friend (met with him several times during my stay in Singapore!) has published yet another outstanding book about the Singapore 60s Pop Music Era entitled "Apache over Singapore" (According to Mr. Pereira, "Apache refers to the Shadows hit of 1961. It became a rite of passage for Singaporean bands then")

(I posted an entry about his first book on this subject, Legends of the Golden Venus, earlier in this blog.)




Released on October 2011, this book traces the development of the Singapore Sixties music scene. Publisher: Select Books

Mr Pereira has a really great perspective on this subject, having grown up in Singapore during the 60s. He's been studying this subject for years and he has also released several box set compilations of Singapore 60s music through various record labels in the past few years.

From what I gather, this book is full of fascinating stories, interviews, and rare photographs from the era. Definitely a must-read ! (I still need to get a copy for myself!!)

(Photos copyright J Pereira 2011)

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Do you have Joseph C. Pereira's email contact? I came to know that he has re-released The Trailers' songs. I would like to know does he own the copyright of "The Phoenix"?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete